Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Sunny,50°
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
1st Precinct in limbo
(Page 5 of 6)
Sue Greico/Herald
Police Commissioner Thomas Dale has defended precinct mergers, maintaining that Nassau County’s on-the-street police presence is unchanged.

The data also indicates that at two of the three consolidated units, the number of reports of major crime jumped this year. The comparison report for the 3rd and 4th precincts showed increases.

Dale issued a statement last week describing these statistics as misleading, saying that they “inaccurately portrayed the state of Nassau County.”

Denenberg also questioned the savings the county would accrue from consolidation. He said that the precincts that merged had to spend thousands of dollars on trailers to accommodate officers and supplies that were moved. County Comptroller George Maragos said the county does not yet have a revised savings projection for the consolidation plan, but that it would be examined when the comptroller’s office prepares to close the books for the 2012 fiscal year after July. 

Residents, others relieved for now

While officials and residents still wait for a decision on the possible merger of the 1st and 7th precincts, some said they were pleased that the Baldwin station house would remain operational for the time being. Joseph Scannell, a county legislator and a lifelong Baldwin resident, said he is thrilled that the 1st will be kept open, and described the merger process as a roller coaster.

“It was supposed to be here, then there, but we’re just so happy it’s staying,” he said. “We’ve been getting tons of calls about it.”

Leaders of the Baldwin Civic Association also said they welcomed the recent news that the community would not lose the precinct. David Viana, the group’s president, said its members believe the decision is a great step in helping keep Baldwin and surrounding communities safe.

“We understand that the decision to hold off on the merger is only temporary,” Viana added. “However, we hope that Nassau County will decide to permanently keep the 1st Precinct located in Baldwin.”

Comments

3 comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
KevinLadden

Ok - we don t need a new building - we need new windows, repair to the sidewalk and railing - and of course some new signs. Sink $150,000 into to it an your good to go for another decade. All these plans to renovate the building across the street or build a new building for millions is crazy. Renovate and continue to maintain a police station. Its in a good central location were it is.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 | Report this
feegss

Our men and women in blue bust their tails daily-next time you see an officer on the street go over and say thanks.

Whether there are 8 buildings or 4 buildings these officers are heroic by putting their lives on the line for us daily-sure they are compensated well but when you thank an officer for his/her service to us it makes their day!!!!!!

God bless Mr. Carver and his entire force.....Keep politics out of our safety and protection.....

Friday, April 26, 2013 | Report this
JohnRowe

Nassau County finds itself getting less for more: fewer services for more tax dollars. With the obvious lack of a cogent plan for the police precinct merger, why is the county even considering the building of a new station house in Baldwin? And given the confusion and indecision, why is there a sign on the purchased property announcing the "new home of Precinct 1" across the street from the existing station house?

Friday, April 26, 2013 | Report this
Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2015 Richner Communications, Inc.