Courtesy Bellmore Schools
At Their JunE meeting, the Bellmore Board of Education and administration honored retiring staffers: Elissa Doppelt, Joseph Hendrickson and Karolyn Hertzberg. Patricia Hogan could not attend.
Students weren’t the only ones to say goodbye to their elementary schools in the Bellmores this summer. Both the Bellmore and North Bellmore school districts recently recognized retiring educators and staff members.
The Bellmore School District, which comprises the Charles A. Reinhard Early Childhood Center and the Winthrop Avenue and Shore Road elementary schools, had four retirees this June. Five staffers from the North Bellmore School District, which includes Saw Mill Road, Park Avenue, Newbridge Road, Martin Avenue and Dinkelmeyer elementary schools, also retired.
Both districts honored their retirees at June Board of Education meetings. North Bellmore’s meeting came first on June 12, when Superintendent Marie Testa spoke of the difference that the educators have made in the lives of children during their tenures.
“When you work with children, you are not only a teacher, a social worker or a psychologist,” she said. “You are also a gardener, an inspirer, a motivator, someone who uplifts lives, a counselor, a medical technician, an artist and architect – you’re everything. It is one of the most honorable professions.”
Retiring North Bellmore staffers include:
- Maureen Byrne, a fourth-grade teacher at Park Avenue (16 years in the district).
- Susan Carlough, a third-grade teacher at Saw Mill (32 years).
- Nancy Dineen, a social worker at Newbridge and Saw Mill (34 years).
- Christine MacLeod, Dinkelmeyer’s nurse (22 years).
- Joan Slutsky, a fifth-grade teacher at Newbridge (24 years).
Less than a week later, Bellmore administrators and board trustees feted the district’s four retiring staff members. Three attended the June 18 meeting, at which they were recognized for their commitment to their schools and the community.
Bellmore’s retirees include:
- Facilities and Transportation Director Joseph Hendrickson (14 years in district).
- Teacher Elissa Doppelt (20 years).
- Art teacher Karolyn Hertzberg (14 year ).
- Teaching assistant Karolyn Hertzberg
- Teaching assistant Patricia Hogan (16 years). She could not attend the board meeting.