June 24, 2013 | 2771 views
Town opens 15 cooling stations throughout the south shore
Where to stay cool amid high temperatures
In lieu of high temperatures blazing throughout the south shore, the Town of Hempstead is opening 15 cooling stations from Monday, June 24, to Wednesday, June 26.
The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory warning in Nassau County, with temperatures expected to reach the upper 80s. “This heat wave poses significant health risks for residents who do not have air conditioning or a cool place to stay,” said Murray during a press conference at Veterans Memorial Park in East Meadow.
Standing in front of several dozen of residents who were spending their Monday afternoon swimming in the East Meadow pool, Murray, joined by Councilman Gary Hudes, encouraged residents to take advantage of the facilities. "By opening these 15 cooling centers ... we are providing our residents with great ways to beat the heat."
From Monday to Wednesday, the following cooling stations will remain open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., unless otherwise noted:
• Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Ave.
• Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave.
• Cedarhurst Senior Center, 200 Cedarhurst Ave. (open until 4:30 p.m.)
• East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front St. (open until 4:45 p.m.)
• Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road
• Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place
• Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
• Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road
• Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road (open until 4:45 p.m.)
• Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave.
• Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Tpke, Roosevelt
• Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive
• Uniondale-Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave.
• Uniondale-Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave.
• Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road
On Wednesday, Murray said she would assess whether the stations needed to remain open..
Hours of operation will also be extending at the following pools from Monday to Wednesday:
• Roosevelt Pool, closing at 7 p.m.
• Forest City Pool, 8 p.m.
• Rath Pool, 8 p.m.
• Walker Memorial Pool, 8 p.m.
• Azaela Road Pool, 8 p.m.
• Hewlett Pool, 8 p.m.
• Blue Grass Lane Pool, 8 p.m.
• Slate Lane Pool, 8 p.m.
• Town Park at the Sands Pool, 7 p.m.
Lifeguards will be on duty one extra hour, until 7 p.m., at the following beaches from Monday to Wednesday:
• Town Park Point Lookout
• Lido Beach Town Park
• Lido West Town Park
• Town park at Sands
• Hewlett Point Park