Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Clear,76°
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Three Hewlett Neck residents overcome by carbon monoxide
Vehicle engine fumes leak through house

Three Hewlett Neck residents on Dolphin Drive, a mother, and two children, ages 1 and 2, were overcome by carbon monoxide on Feb. 3 at 11:47 a.m., according to Woodmere Fire Department Chief Leonard Cherson.

The mother and children was taken by Woodmere emergency medical personnel to South Nassau Communities Hospital in Oceanside, where they were treated for elevated levels of carbon monoxide. The inhalation was considered non-life threatening.

“[The homeowner] was running his car in the garage and [the engine's fumes] backed up throughout the whole house," Cherson.

Firefighters opened the home's windows brought in heavy duty fans to clear the house, the chief said. The heating system was also turned off.

After the firefighters had zero readings of carbon monoxide in the home, the heating system was turned on again, said Cherson, adding that the entire operation took a total of 65 minutes.

Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2014 Richner Communications, Inc.