April 3, 2013 | 1 comment | 899 views
Brooklyn man convicted in brutal home invasion
A jury has convicted a Brooklyn man of burglary, robbery and assault for his role in a violent home invasion in North Bellmore that led to a high-speed chase through Merrick and Wantagh in September 2011, Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said last Friday.
Carlos Segura, 30, was found guilty of several crimes related to an attack in which he and two other men beat and tied up several North Bellmore residents in their home near Bellmore Avenue and Fowler Street before robbing them. Segura now faces up to 25 years in prison.
“Thanks to the excellent work of members of the Nassau County Police Department and members of my office, this defendant will spend a very long time behind bars,” Rice said. “This was a savage attack against a group of people who barely had enough time for breakfast before being subjected to such violence.”
Segura was convicted of five counts of first-degree robbery, four counts of first-degree burglary, two counts of second-degree assault, three counts of second-degree unlawful imprisonment, second-degree robbery and third-degree escape.
Rice said that Segura and two other accomplices, Gustavo Arroyo and Eduardo Cruz, left a car driven by Dario Guerrero and approached a North Bellmore home on Sept. 19, 2011, at about 8:30 a.m. Cruz entered the home through the unlocked front door and beat a female resident, Shabnam Sumra, before signaling to Segura and Arroyo to come inside. Segura, armed with a gun, and Cruz and Arroyo, armed with knives, tied up three residents of the home and searched for money, the district attorney said.
Haris Sumra, who was 20 at the time, previously told the Herald that his mother, Shabnam, his father, Arshad, and a family friend had their wrists and ankles bound with cords, and their mouths were covered with cloth to silence them.
A fourth resident who lived in the home’s basement was also tied up before having his cell phone and $350 stolen from him.