Long Island rebuilding in Sandy's wake

(Page 3 of 5)

• Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value and receipts, if possible.

Your adjuster will provide you a Proof of Loss form for your official claim for damages. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program or insurance company can make payment.

You should receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages, and the insurer has your complete, accurate and signed Proof of Loss form. In the aftermath of a catastrophic flood such as Sandy, it may take longer to process claims and make payments because of the sheer number of claims submitted, according to FEMA.

Wind damage should be covered on a homeowner’s regular insurance policy. On Wednesday, Cuomo announced that homeowners would not have to pay their policies’ large hurricane deductibles. The State Department of Financial Services has informed the insurance industry that hurricane deductibles should not apply. Deductibles normally range from 1 to 5 percent of a home’s value. On a home valued at $300,000, a 5 percent deductible would have meant that a homeowner would pay the first $15,000 in repair costs.

The governor also noted that homeowners can and should immediately make repairs that are necessary to ensure their families’ safety, but otherwise, they should not begin permanent repairs until an insurance adjuster has inspected their homes.

The Department of Financial Services has activated a hotline to answer consumer questions: (800) 339-1759. Hours are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

Leaking oil burners

Many homeowners reported that their oil burners and tanks leaked oil into their homes when floodwaters raced in, and in the days after Sandy, oil could be seen spilled onto sidewalks in neighborhoods across the South Shore. According to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, oil is considered a potentially hazardous substance, and spills should be reported to the DEC’s Oil Spill Hotline at (800) 457-7362, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Subhed: Sewage crisis

Page 3 / 5