Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Partly Cloudy,16°
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Sandy task force offers suggestions
(Page 2 of 3)
Christina Daly/Herald
The rebuilding strategy is meant to serve as a model for communities across the nation facing greater risks from extreme weather and to continue helping the Sandy-affected region rebuild.

“During Sandy, over nine million people throughout the region lost power,” Donovan said in a conference call with the media on Monday, “and we all remember the gas lines and the generators sitting idle due to lack of fuel — bringing the region and its economy to a standstill.”

In Long Beach, where the storm caused $200 million in damage, the boardwalk is being rebuilt with more durable materials, and officials are moving forward with the Army Corps of Engineers to rebuild the beachfront with storm mitigation measures. Last week the city announced a number of “resiliency measures” it is taking as it rebuilds, to address climate change.

“Over the past six months, Secretary Donovan and the Hurricane Sandy Rebuilding Task Force have been tremendous partners as we work to build back better, smarter and stronger,” said City Council President Scott Mandel, who served on the task force’s Advisory Group. “Though there is still much work to do, we’ve already made extraordinary progress, including the reopening of the first part of Long Beach’s iconic boardwalk just a few weeks ago. This rebuilding strategy, which we helped inform, will help us ensure our families and small businesses are protected for generations to come.”

Getting the money out

In April, HUD allocated $1.7 billion in community development block grant funds to the NY Rising grant program, to be used for storm relief and for elevating and rebuilding homes to avoid higher flood insurance premiums, which the report said may drive homeowners out of coastal communities.

Donovan said that HUD will announce the next round of allocations through the block grant program in the coming weeks, and that the use of the funds will be influenced by the report’s recommendations. He also acknowledged residents’ frustrations with the slow pace of funding, saying, “We understand that there are families waiting, and the process can never be quick enough.”

He added that the U.S. Small Business Administration’s disaster loan program, which gave $3.8 billion in low-interest loans to storm victims, performed better than it did during Hurricane Katrina. But the report recommends further improving the process of accessing and disbursing those funds.

Comments

2 comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
RonnieG

Ten months have gone by and still people are waiting and all we have is a "report" out of the Obama Administration? These are peoples lives we're talking about, not some abstract bunch of intangibles, but families, homes, children, pets, belongings, etc. I'm so pleased that Obama decided to create yet another Task Force, to delay, even further, what should have been done months ago. He's great at task forces, bureaus, committees, and the like. Maybe "O" should be out of the White House for 10 months and let's see how he likes it. Our country might like it, but he wouldn't have all the great perks of the job. Did we really need a report to tell us to build a safer electrical grid, or a better power strategy for telephones and communication systems? We're forgetting that most of these original systems were in place from decades ago, so naturally, they would not be able to withstand this type of storm. It would be common sense to assume that any repairs or new systems would be designed to stand up to another "Sandy." There is nothing more frustrating than having the government step in and "help out." That's when you know you're in trouble.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 | Report this
JimmyR

It may be a little too much grand standing but at least its finally on the RADAR? There have been some very good studies that could be revisited that 20 million on top of could put boots on the ground quickly! Some from the very same influences that wish to buy a study again or have already been a part of one in the past? Short memories lead to shortcomings of which we have already had plenty of!

A proposal was introduced after SANDY for the north end of the Long Beach Barrier Island which addresses the content of previous management plans and incorporates some out of the box conceptions worth serious considerations. It never grew legs and was tabled by immediate skeptics. If we revisit our past the solutions will be free as they all have existed for sometime? More importantly is shortening the time to implement them before they fade away and resurface by throwing more money at them?

That which I speak of was solicited but never documented... it wouldn't take much digging as it is still relatively fresh on the ground!

The proposal discusses the Implications of a SEAWALL Protection Barrier and Corridor along the Northern Coast of the Long Beach Barrier Island

Robust Flood protection for the total Long Beach Barrier Population saving billions of dollars in future catastrophic events while creating a singular boundary protection to the north vanquishing the need for private and public investments for mitigation which in themselves would save billions more and likely not be a comprehensive endeavor!

The creation of a mitigated flood insurance pool which will contribute to the funding and security of Federal, State and Local resources for future disasters by paying into the system into perpetuity without taxing the funds in future events!

The barrier island once again maintains it’s integrity as a protection for the wetlands and coastal communities to the North by limiting the impoundment of waters in storm events from passage over the Island as was evident in the Sandy occurrence.

A fully maintainable infrastructure corridor for the implant of pipelines and utilities with uses into the future and the elimination of miles of costly land and submarine excavations consisting of one shot terms of use and no future accessibility!

A combined use of limited funding opportunities to achieve state of the art utilities and protection while encompassing far more than individual projects can provide.

It would be most interesting to get public scrutiny on the concept before the twenty million is spent.... as the whole project lies in the realm of affordability and incorporates practical long range solutions and applications for the future?

This reader has a copy .......Perhaps the Herald will investigate and publish?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 | Report this
Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2015 Richner Communications, Inc.