Officials: Boil-water alert lifted in Long Beach after E. coli scare

Posted
State, county and city officials announced Monday morning that, effective immediately, the Nassau County Department of Health lifted its boil-water alert, following the complete flushing of the city's water system. "Our water is again safe for consumption," City Council President Anthony Eramo said on the city's website. "The city's water system has been thoroughly flushed over the past several days in a process that included increasing the chlorine levels."
Eramo said that the County DOH recommends that residents run all their cold water faucets "on full for at least five minutes each. For additional guidance, visit the Department of Health website or call (516) 227-9697." "Rest assured, the city and the Department of Health are conducting a full investigation and will be taking decisive steps to locate what the source of last week's positive result [is] and ensure that the issue is corrected," Eramo added. "This has been a challenging time for all of us, and I would like to sincerely thank you, Long Beach residents, for your patience, understanding. I would also like to thank the dozens of dedicated city employees who worked around the clock to help keep us safe. Long Beach is an extraordinarily tight-knit community, and we should all be extremely proud to be part of it. We’ve all been through a lot, but remember that we are always stronger together. Again, thank you." County Executive Laura Curran and other officials announced that the alert had been lifted at a news conference in front of City Hall at 10:30 a.m. on Monday. The Herald will update this story.