Rockville Centre's Roxen Road assault defendants get 2013 court date


An Oct. 26 court appearance for William Moore, Matthew DiPerna and Kevin Coyle, who are charged with assaulting a man on Roxen Road in June, was postponed until Jan. 2, according to Chris Munzing, deputy communications director for the Nassau County district attorney’s office.

The men are accused of beating a 43-year-old Rockville Centre resident on June 18, leaving him with serious injuries that required hospitalization.

According to police, the beating took place after a group of local teenagers verbally harassed a resident as she walked her dog on Nottingham Road. The woman grew fearful, police said, and ran home and told her husband about the incident. The two then drove around the neighborhood looking for the teens, planning to demand an apology from them, and found the group on Roxen Road.

When the woman’s husband confronted the teens, they attacked and injured him, police said, adding that a second man, who lives nearby, was also attacked when he attempted to help his neighbor, and the woman was thrown to the ground during the altercation.

According to the felony complaint, provided by District Attorney Kathleen Rice’s office, DiPerna “‘field goal’ kick[ed]” the woman’s husband in the head as he was on the ground, and was about to do so again when the neighbor intervened. The complaint also states that the woman pulled Coyle off her husband, at which point Coyle said, “You’re never gonna prove any of this.”

The report goes on to allege that, after the initial attack, Moore punched the woman’s husband in the head, causing him to fall into a planter and then onto the sidewalk. The attackers then ran off.

Neither the neighbor nor the woman required medical attention, but her husband was taken by police to nearby Mercy Medical Center, where police said he received 15 stitches and was treated for a fractured rib, multiple contusions, a laceration on his face and an injury to his jaw, and was eventually released.

Neighbors who heard the disturbance called police, but the teens fled before they arrived. Nassau County detectives were called in to join the investigation.