Town snow salting and plowing crews are combating what officials described as the second major snowstorm of 2014.
For the second time this year, Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray has declared a snow emergency while crews began battling the storm Tuesday morning.
Town salting and plowing crews are currently combating what officials described as the second major snowstorm of 2014. Frigid temperature projections throughout the week also prompted Murray to announce that 15 warming centers will be open on Tuesday and Wednesday for residents seeking refuge from the wind and cold.
Murray said that, once again, the town has been proactive with their approaches to removing snow and preventing icing. She noted that salt spreaders from the town highway department were working on the streets and commuter parking fields throughout the area before the snow began to fall, adding that plowing crews “sprang into action” once it began to accumulate Tuesday morning.
“Hempstead Town is working to keep neighbors safe and roads clear as this winter storm hits our area,” she said. “What’s more, we’ve opened more than a dozen warming centers to help those seeking a warm place during the ‘cold snap’ that is accompanying the snow.”
The following location will be open as warming centers from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 21 and Wednesday, Jan. 22:
• Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Ave., Baldwin
• Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave., Bellmore
• Cedarhurst Senior Center, Village Hall, 200 Cedarhurst Ave., Cedarhurst
• East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front St., East Meadow
• Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
• Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
• Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
• Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
• Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
• Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside
• Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
• Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
• Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale
• Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale
• Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh