Busy day for Long Beach firefighters

LBFD battles two fires Sunday on Birch Court and Park Ave.


Firefighters rushed to the scene of a small house fire at 5 Birch Ct. on Sunday at around 5 p.m., Long Beach Fire Commissioner Scott Kemins said.

The fire was discovered in a bedroom and extinguished by one of the homeowners, who sustained burns to his hands, Kemins said. Firefighters searched the home to determine if the fire had spread.

The victim was treated at the scene and transported to Nassau University Medical Center, where he was in stable condition. No other injuries were reported.

The Nassau County Fire Marshal determined that the fire was caused by a lit candle.

Earlier that day, firefighters rushed to a fire at Long Beach Orthodontics, at 622 E. Park Ave., at around 2:30 a.m. following reports of smoke coming from the building.

Firefighters faced heavy smoke conditions throughout the building, Kemins said.

Crews quickly extinguished the blaze in the attic and searched for victims. There were no reported injuries.

“There was fire damage to the attic and smoke and water damage to the remaining part of the building,” Kemins said. “It appears to be from a malfunction in the heating unit that was in the attic.”

The fire is not believed to be suspicious, Kemins said, who added that the county Fire Marshal would conduct an investigation.