Rescuing Families hosts first gift boutique


The holidays are right around the corner and Rescuing Families, Inc. is hosting a new event in Franklin Square, where shoppers can jump-start their gift buying for a great cause.

Rescuing Families, Inc., a Franklin Square-based non-profit organization, assists struggling homeowners with disabilities or financial hardships with home rehab or modifications.

Gina Centauro, co-founder of Rescuing Families, Inc., is putting together the group’s first-ever holiday gift boutique on Nov. 19 at the VFW Post 2718, at 68 Lincoln Road.

From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., visitors can browse an array of 30 craft and artisan vendors, as well as vintage items, collectibles and antiques. Centauro said she participated in craft shows for more than 20 years and started a business to make some extra money at the time.

“A lot of (the vendors) are stay-at-home moms,” Centauro said. “I thought what a great opportunity around the holidays to do something that not only helps our charity but it helps all local businesses and crafters get the word out a little bit earlier than Black Friday.”

Centauro confirmed that 90 percent of the vendors are strictly crafters, meaning all of their merchandise is handmade, including jewelry, soaps, baked goods, stitchery, holiday wreaths and more. The remaining 10 percent of the vendors plan to sell vintage items, antiques and collectibles.

Two of the vendors are Darci Carlton of ONEHOPE Wine and Terri Callaghan of Fuzzy Dice Finds.

ONEHOPE Wine is a winery in the Napa Valley that donates 10 percent of every purchase to a charity of one’s choice. Carlton said the company has donated about $9 million to its cause partners to date, which covers more than 35,000 non-profits.

Carlton, who lives in Irvington, has been involved with ONEHOPE Wine for four and a half years and said she enjoys giving back to different causes, such as Project ALS.

She said her space at the boutique will feature a selection of gold, silver and pink shimmery wine bottles, an assortment of gift boxes, wine glasses and more.

“I love our mission, I love our impact — my hope is to make a difference,” Carlton said. “I’m just thrilled to be able to donate money and help out all these amazing non-profits through something as simple as wine.”

Callaghan is a longtime supporter and volunteer for Rescuing Families and her business, Fuzzy Dice Finds, is a collection of automotive-type décor, vintage signs and other 1950s-era memorabilia.

“This particular collection was a business born from a collector’s 1950s multiple car garage — a 10,000-square-foot space with probably more than a dozen real vintage, minted-out ’50s cars,” Callaghan said.

The antiquarian said she has participated in almost every Rescuing Families’ charity event and is happy to be a part of the holiday gift boutique.

“Gina is an outstanding person and I wish her nothing but the best always,” Callaghan said.

Rescuing Families, Inc. will have its own table at the holiday boutique, consisting of comic books, baseball cards, brand-new clothing and handbags. Centauro said the event is open to all ages and there is a $5 entry fee to participate.

The charity founder said she expects an excellent turnout for the premiere event, with most of the fundraisers the non-profit hosts intentionally held at Franklin Square’s VFW Post 2718, Centauro added.

“We want to support them because they are so supportive of the community,” Centauro said. “It’s like an open house, so people understand that our VFW is able to host events like this.”