WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.

Basement fire in Franklin Square

Posted

The Franklin Square Fire Department responded to a basement fire near the intersection of Fendale Street and Napel Avenue, in Franklin Square, on July 16. Franklin Square firefighter Martin Golden Jr. said a dryer in the basement caused the fire.

After being alerted of the fire in their basement, the residents called the fire department at around 10:19 a.m. Firefighters were at the scene just as the fire began spreading to the first floor. They were able to contain the fire and extinguish it before 11 a.m.

Although the exact cause of the dryer fire is unknown as of the time of press, the U.S. Fire Administration warns that a build up of lint in dryers are the cause of more than a third of dryer fires in the U.S. Nearly 3,000 dryer fires occur in the U.S. every year and lead to about $35 million in property loss.