WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.

Long Beach firefighters battle two fires

No injuries were reported


Long Beach firefighters were in full force as they responded to two separate fires on Sunday morning.

The Long Beach Fire Department received a call at 8:27 a.m. on Sunday about a working fire at 211 E. Walnut St. Assitant Fire Chief Hadrick Ray responded within a minute of the call and entered the home to evacuate the tenants, according to Long Beach Fire Commissioner Scott Kemins. Upon arrival, Engine 3 saw fire coming from the second floor of the home and immediately stretched a hose line to the second floor of the house and quickly knocked down the fire.

Kemins said the fire was under control within 22 minutes and added that the majority of the damage was done to the exterior of the home with minor damage to the interior. There were no reported injuries.

Island Park Fire Department was at the scene with a ladder truck, while the Oceanside, Point-Lookout Lido, Lawrence-Cedarhurst and Inwood Fire Departments stood-by for additional help.

“As Long Beach firefighters extinguished the first fire, Engine Company 4 radioed the Command Post with an urgent message at 9:25 a.m. A second fire, located on the 400 block of East Park Avenue –– approximately one and a half blocks away from the original fire scene –– had started and they needed immediate assistance,” the fire department said on Facebook.

At the second scene, two houses at 414 and 420 E. Park Ave were on fire and, LBFD Engine 2 was first on the scene as they immediately stretched a hose line to begin knocking down the fire between the two houses.

“This fire seemed to begin between the two houses, causing the exterior of both houses to catch fire, both houses gas meters were involved in the fire, causing a gas-fed fire,” Kemins said in a statement. “Once the fire was knocked down, we were able to shut down the gas meters, but still had a leak, of which National Grid responded to the scene to turn off the gas from the street.”

The second fire was under control within 21 minutes and the exterior of the homes faced the majority of the damage, according to Kemins. He said that the fires did not seem to be suspicious, but the Nassau County Fire Marshals and the Arson Bomb Squad are currently investigating both incidents.

The LBFD was assisted at the second scene by the stand by units previous mentioned and had additional stand-by units from the Rockville Centre, East Rockaway, Hewlett and Woodmere Fire Departments.