WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.

Seaford Avenue house fire extinguished


A second-story house fire had just begun to spread to other sections of a Seaford Avenue home in Seaford on Nov. 6 before local fire departments arrived on the scene. Seaford, Wantagh and Massapequa Fire Departments arrived just before 4 p.m. to control and eventually extinguish the flames.

Calls were made to nearby fire departments around 3:50 p.m. reporting heavy smoke emanating from a home on Seaford Avenue. Wantagh Fire Department 2nd Assistant Chief Lenny Mathewson was the first to arrive before giving a preliminary report, prompting Chief of Department Ken Kelly, who arrived moments later, to transmit a “Signal 10,” indicating a working fire that demanded a quick response.

Kelly reported a fire on the second floor. The flames were visible from the outside of the house. At the time of fire departments’ arrival, there were no occupants in the home.

Wantagh’s Engine 3 arrived first. Led by Ex-Chief Joe Gross, the crew stretched a hose line to the right side of the house and navigated up a narrow staircase to the second floor. After reaching the second floor, they were met by heavy smoke. This caused poor visibility and increasing temperatures as they attempted to make their way to the fire. Firefighters maneuvered through a small kitchen area while trying to advance towards the fire but were unable to locate the hallway that led towards the affected side of the house. Later reports determined that a refrigerator, which was located in a narrow opening to a living room area, was blocking their access to the fire’s location.

Wantagh Ladder 1, Seaford Ladder 3 and Massapequa Ladder 2 all were able to set up aerial ladders in front of the house. All three departments played a role in the final extinguishing of the fire, which had extended into the attic and through the roof.

Crews from Wantagh Ladder 1, led by Captain Bruce Sparke, and Ladder 2, led by Ex-Captain Rich Mongiello, aimed to provide ventilation in the process of extinguishing the flames. The departments opened up walls and ceilings looking for potential extensions of the fire and “hot spots.”

The fire was brought under control in approximately 40 minutes, however not before the house sustained “extensive damage,” according to officials.

Investigators from the Nassau County Police Department Arson/Bomb Squad and Nassau County Fire Marshal’s Office were present to determine the cause and origin of the fire. They reported no suspicion of criminality.

No injuries were reported. Firefighters were on the scene for a total of just over 2 hours.

Mutual aid was provided by Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, Bellmore, North Bellmore and Levittown’s fire departments while standby coverage at Wantagh Fire Headquarters was provided by Massapequa, Merrick and Bethpage.