WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.

Barrett Park summer camp taking reservations amid virus uncertainty

Posted

The Barrett Park Summer Recreation Program is now taking phone reservations with a tentative opening date still set for July 1.

Whether the popular, long-running summer camp program still goes forward as planned remains uncertain as state officials weigh the loosening of social distancing restrictions intended to combat the spread of coronavirus.

According to previous reporting, the ability to sign up for the program had been in question as Barrett’s park facilities remained closed. Now, the village has opted to take phone reservations to limit person-to-person interactions, with recreation officials continuing to await further guidance from state health agencies on whether the camp will be allowed to open this year.

Village officials said that because of the uncertainty surrounding the program, payments for sign-ups would not be processed until mid-June, but reservations made before April 28 will be eligible for a 15 percent, early-bird discount.

Open to children ages 6 to 12 years old, this summer would be the first where the camp offers the option for a full-day program, running from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Previously, the camp was only half-day, running from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Parents and caregivers still have the option to sign their children up for either.

“It would be great for kids to get out and do activities for the program this summer because they have been cooped up inside during this pandemic,” Jimmy Fitanzo, recreation director for the village said. “We would be disappointed if the program gets cancelled because a lot of planning goes into this, and the kids look forward to it, but safety comes first.”

He said he expects state and federal officials to make any decisions that could affect whether the summer camp program goes forward by the end of April.

“We are in compliance with whatever the CDC and state wants us to do,” he said. “If that means maintaining separation we will do that. We have no choice but to wait and see what happens.”