February 8, 2013 | 342 views
MTA urges LIRR commuters to head home early
In preparation for a nor’easter set to slam into Long Island Friday evening, the Metropolitan Transit Authority will operate eight additional afternoon eastbound Long Island Rail Road trains for commuters heading home early before the weather worsens.
MTA officials urged all commuters to leave Manhattan early, as the regular evening schedule may change or be suspended if the storm dumps between 10 and 13 inches of snow in the greater New York City area. They said Long Island Rail Road crews might need to clear snow from the tracks and the third rail Friday night.
“We urge LIRR customers to take advantage of our extra afternoon eastbound service and leave the city early before the worst of the storm hits,” said Long Island Railroad President Helena Williams. “This is a serious storm, so it's best to get home early and avoid traveling as conditions worsen.”
The extra trains will supplement regular off-peak service. Seven of the additional trains will leave from Penn Station between 2:09 p.m. and 3:48 p.m. on the Babylon, Port Jefferson, Port Washington and Far Rockaway branches. Officials noted that a regularly scheduled train from Huntington destined for Port Jefferson will originate instead from Jamaica at 1:46 p.m.
The trains being added to the schedule are as follows:
• The 2:32 p.m. train from Penn Station due in Babylon at 3:45 p.m., running express to Lynbrook and then all local stops to Babylon.
• The 3 p.m. train from Penn Station due in Babylon at 4:12 p.m., with stops at Jamaica and Rockville Centre and then all local stops to Babylon.
• The 3:31 p.m. train from Penn Station due in Babylon at 4:39 p.m., running express to Rockville Centre and then all local stops to Babylon
Port Jefferson Branch
• The 1:46 p.m. train from Jamaica due in Port Jefferson at 3:37 p.m.
• The 2:08 P.M. train from Penn Station due in Huntington at 3:09 P.M. with stops at Jamaica and Carle Place and then all local stops to Huntington
• The 2:29 p.m. train from Penn Station due in Huntington at 3:35 p.m. with stops at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park and then all local stops to Huntington.
• The 3:24 p.m. train from Penn Station due in Hicksville at 4:05 p.m. with stops at Jamaica, Mineola Westbury and Hicksville.