The Lynbrook Fire Department responded to a house fire on Vine Street on Feb. 21 at 1:46 p.m.
When the firefighters arrived at the home, Chief Carl Lengel found smoke coming through the garage, which emanated from the backside of an interior closet. After the firefighters entered through the front door, Lengel found a fire in the living room, and, after a quick search, determined that the house was empty.
The firefighters stretched two lines, attacking the living room fire and protecting the stairway to the second floor. It was determined that the fire originated in the basement, and the firefighters eventually extinguished the blaze. After an investigation, it was determined that the fire was sparked by an extension cord that was in the basement closet and extended up to the first floor of the home.
No one was injured in the blaze. Firefighters from the Valley Stream, Malverne and Rockville Centre fire departments also responded to the scene. A truck from East Rockaway and an engine from Rockville Centre were stand-by units.