Home
Classifieds
Coupons
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Cloudy,43°
Friday, April 18, 2014
Reviewing relocation and Number Six plan
(Page 2 of 2)
Jeffrey Bessen/Herald
Lawrence school district officials held a town hall meeting to discuss the relocation plan and the Number Six School. From left were middle school Principal Willis Perry, Assistant Superintendents Dr. Ann Pedersen and Pat Pizzarelli and Superintendent Gary Schall.

New middle school Principal Willis Perry said he agreed with Baum. “My plan is to get out to all the schools and express my expectations to the [middle school] students,” Perry said.

Definitely one rule that was enforced is no lighting fires. A high school student was caught igniting a fire in a middle school bathroom on Feb. 7. “The young man was arrested,” said Assistant Superintendent for Student and Community Affairs Pat Pizzarelli. “He was suspended for the rest of the year.”

To help ensure that the students receive the instruction they need, ELA and math preparation after school for the state tests began last week and additional prep sessions will be held on Saturdays.

However, an ominous warning was signaled by Schall concerning the budget for next school year. “The cost of Sandy that is facing us as we approach budget time is huge,” he said. “No matter how we slice it, the options won’t be pleasant.” At a district board meeting on Feb. 11, Schall reported a revised budget deficit of $4.2 million.

A public referendum on the proposed sale of the Number Six School at 523 Church Ave. in Woodmere is scheduled for March 20. At the town hall meeting, Benjamin Weinstock, the attorney representing Bronx-based Simone Development Companies, spoke. Simone is planning to buy the 6.7-acre site for $12.5 million and transform it into a multi-specialty medical practice and an urgent care center run by Mt. Sinai Hospital.

In addition to the 60 doctors, mostly from Mt. Sinai, there will be up to 150 other employees that could be hired from the local community, Weinstock said. The recreational area and ball fields will be use for parking, but the playground will remain. It will be moved to an area closer to Church Avenue and Ibsen Street. “The project will take about two years and cost more than $20 million,” he said.

The district has scheduled a town hall meeting about the proposed sale with representatives from Simone and Mt. Sinai at the middle school on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m.

No comments on this story | Add your comment
Please log in or register to add your comment
Terms of Use | Advertising | Press Release | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links                         © 2014 Richner Communications, Inc.