Teacher evaluations in Lynbrook, East Rockaway
(Page 2 of 2)
Melucci said that the main aspect of the plan that is being addressed is the agreement with teachers and administrators on the scale for local assessments and student learning objectives. She added that it will be finalized at the next APPR committee meeting this week.
In Lynbrook, Burak noted, 40 percent of a teacher’s evaluation will be based on student test scores, which will include both state and local assessments. The remaining 60 percent of an evaluation will be determined by classroom observations and other factors.
Burak said she is not in favor of linking student test scores to teacher evaluation and added that the standardized test system is flawed. “To tie a flawed system with teacher’s performance is a very dangerous line to draw,” she said.
Teachers in Lynbrook will be rated on a scale that includes four options: highly effective, effective, developing and ineffective. Burak said that teachers have the option of appealing their respective ratings and added that teachers who are tenured have different rights in this process than teachers who are non-tenured.
Each district’s plan must be singed by its respective superintendent, school board president, administrative union president and teachers union president before being submitted to the state.
East Rockaway had a comprehensive APPR plan prior to this year, Melucci said, and the rubric the district used before the legislation was passed is also one of the rubrics the state approved for the new APPR. She added that it was an easy transition for teachers with respect to classroom observations.
“We began this process last year and will improve upon it this year,” she said. “We are implementing the Regents reform agenda for curriculum, data driven instruction and assessment, and we embrace the changes that will lead to improved teaching and learning.”