Crime Watch

Bellmore man charged in burglary spree


A Bellmore man was arrested on Monday in connection with a recent string of burglaries in the Bellmore-Merrick-Wantagh area, according to authorities.

Nassau County Police Department officials said Sergey Fattakhov, 23, was apprehended at about 3 p.m. on July 29 and charged with eight counts of burglary in connection with several crimes dating back to last month.

Police said that Fattakhov first tried to burglarize a Wantagh home through the back window and a shed window on June 26, but failed to enter the Beech Street house and nothing was stolen.

Police said that Fattakhov then stole from a Bellmore home sometime between June 30 and July 2. Officials explained that Fattakhov broke into the Centre Avenue house through a basement window and took an iPad, iPod, sports memorabilia photos and cash.

Fattakhov was unsuccessful in his next attempt on July 8, when police said he failed to get into a Bayview Avenue house after a Wantagh homeowner confronted him. He also could not enter a Merrick home on south Hewlett Avenue on July 23, failing to get in through a side window.

That same day, police said, Fattakhov took a gold necklace and diamond bracelet from another Merrick home on Whaleneck Drive. Officials said he climbed through a window.

Fattakhov continued his alleged crime spree in Wantagh soon after, entering a Harvest Road house through a kitchen window by cutting the screen, police said. He reportedly took several pieces of jewelry and a laptop computer and walked out a door. The same day, officials said, he also tried to get into a Tally Lane house through a window but failed.

Police said that Fattakhov’s final burglary happened in his hometown on Monday. That morning, officials said, he climbed through the side window of an Eastern Avenue home in Bellmore and stole a laptop computer, several pieces of jewelry and cash.

Law enforcement officials arrested Fattakhov because witnesses who said they saw him leaving some of the burglaries identified him. Police said he was taken into custody without incident at his home, where officers found some of the stolen goods.