Classic Bisquick biscuits:
2 1/3 cups Bisquick baking mix
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Heat oven to 425° F. Stir baking mix, melted butter, milk, and sugar in a mixing bowl until soft dough forms.
2. Drop by 6 spoonfuls on to a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 6 biscuits.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Another short-lived summery favorite, for the pie lovers among us.
1 unbaked homemade double piecrust
2 1/2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 large stalks)
2 1/2 cups hulled and sliced fresh
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour or 1/4 cup
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prepare the bottom crust by rolling out one of the pastry disks to an 11-inch circle. Nestle the crust inside the pan so about an inch hangs over the sides. Press the pastry down. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
2. Mix the fruit with the sugar, flour (or cornstarch) and lemon zest. Using the tines of a fork, poke the bottom of the pie crust evenly about five times. Pour the fruit mixture into the chilled pastry. Dot with the butter pieces.
3. Moisten the edge of the bottom crust with a finger dipped in water. Put on the top pastry in one piece and slice in a few air vents, or in a lattice pattern, trim, and crimp the edges.
4. Brush the egg glaze over the crust. Transfer the pie to a baking sheet.
5.Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake another 30 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before
A tasty, refreshing treat – and healthy too!
2 whole bananas, frozen, peeled and chopped
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1 (6-oz.) carton low-fat vanilla yogurt
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve
Strawberry Vanilla Smoothie
Equally delicious, but without the
12 ounces stemmed strawberries
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
4 ice cubes
1. Combine strawberries, yogurt and honey in container of blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Add ice cubes. Blend until smooth. Pour into 24-ounce glass or two 12-ounce glasses.
Where to go:
You’ll find the majority of the region’s u-pick farms on the North Fork. Here’s a roundup of the best of them. Before going picking, it’s best to call ahead and make sure the fields are open and not over-picked. Remember to wear comfortable clothes and prepare to get messy!