Rockville Centre firefighters put out an early-morning fire last week that heavily damaged an unoccupied building on Lincoln Avenue.
The Rockville Centre Fire Department was notified of heavy smoke coming from the former Capital One Bank at 77 Lincoln Ave. at 2:54 a.m. on April 12, according to Chief Brian Cook. Upon arrival, firefighters observed many flames inside the structure, and had the blaze under control in about 20 minutes.
“A little more than half of the main floor was on fire,” Cook said.
The department received assistance from the Oceanside, Lynbrook, Malverne, East Rockaway and Lakeview fire departments.
The building, which Cook noted is currently undergoing construction and asbestos abatement, was extensively damaged.
Firefighters returned to the scene later in the morning on reports of more smoke, and found smoldering wood, which was handled.
The cause of the fire was unknown, Cook added, and is being investigated by the Fire Marshal’s office.