Small fire at Valbrook Diner
1 photo | Posted 3/16/11
The Valley Stream Fire Department responded to a small fire at the Valbrook Diner on Merrick Road early Monday morning.
Firefighters responded to the diner shortly after midnight on March 14 after a report of smoke in the basement. Fire Chief Joseph Fernandez said there was smoke coming from the diner upon arrival, but it took firefighters about 15 minutes to find the source.
Fernandez said a small fire was burning near the entrance of the diner, underneath the aluminum façade. He said it appeared that someone threw a cigarette in the mulch in the front of the diner. Flames got under the aluminum capping and caught some wood beams on fire, which were quickly extinguished.
The diner suffered some minor smoke damage, however Fernandez
said the restaurant was able to reopen. Firefighters were on the scene for about 45 minutes and Merrick Road was briefly shut down.