Home
Classifieds
Subscribe
Work with us
Cloudy,82°
Thursday, July 30, 2015
Schools
Schools seek input on bus reductions
Chris Connolly
Edward Cullen, the district’s assistant superintendent for business, narrated a presentation detailing reduced busing proposals.

A special meeting at the Baldwin school district offices on Sept. 27 was well attended in spite of short notice. At issue was a proposal to reduce busing services in Baldwin in order to save money and preserve school programs.

School officials are already projecting a gap of around $7 million when the 2013-14 budget rolls around, and they have said that cuts to busing could represent almost $2 million in savings. (A $4.7 million gap last year led to the closings of two schools and threatened kindergarten services as well as other programs.) With a few minor exceptions, changes to busing must be approved by the public via a referendum. School officials sought residents’ reaction to this idea last Thursday night.

“We are not here to vote on anything,” school board President Kim Taylor told approximately 60 parents, grandparents and residents who gathered in the Hastings School gymnasium at 8 p.m. “Our district is being forced to do more with less, and tonight is the beginning of several meetings to collect input. We are here to

listen.”

The district’s assistant superintendent for business, Edward Cullen, gave an overview of the current busing program, illustrated several versions of a reduced system (see map, page 3)and discussed the savings each alternate plan could create.

Baldwin currently provides busing services in excess of those mandated by New York state, Cullen pointed out. The new transportation plan would bring busing more in line with state minimums. Under the leanest version of the new plan, students in grades K-8 would not be provided busing if they lived less than two miles from their schools, and those in grades 9-12 would be on their own inside a three-mile perimeter. Cullen said that these reductions could save around $1.1 million.

Another possible alteration is the elimination of late buses, which Cullen said might save $475,000. He pointed out that the board could make the late bus change without public approval. Cullen explained that the proposals would not affect special-needs children, but would impact both public and private school students equally, since school districts provide busing to resident children even if they attend private schools.

Comments

1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
lduffy01

Chris Connolly....I would appreciate you clarifying that busing provided to private school students is not just a nice perk the district provides, but is paid for out of my school taxes. Just like transportation for non private school children. Last i checked, most, if not all districts provide both a late and early bus for private school students. Maybe if the district didn't have to pay for added security at some of the buildings, the budget could be balanced and services could continue.Perhaps some could even be restored. Based on the current news in the district , the concern should be public safety and security, and the fact that ALL of our property values drop when there is an incident in the district. Late busses should be low on the hit list.....thank you.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 | Report this
Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2015 Richner Communications, Inc.