Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Cloudy,29°
Monday, March 2, 2015

Army Corps looking into storm protection for the bay
(Page 2 of 3)
Bill Kelly/Herald
Eight homes in the Canals were destroyed in a fire during Hurricane Sandy.

However, many residents urged the city and the corps to come up with a protection plan for the bay. City Manager Jack Schnirman said in March that the corps was authorized to conduct a separate study of the barrier island’s northern waterfront, explaining that any future storm-mitigation project for the bay would be undertaken separately. The city, he said, had been working with Schumer and U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy to obtain funding from the federal Sandy relief bill to begin that work, along with short-term protection measures for that area, such as the installation of tide-flex valves, through state and federal grants.

“Storm reduction on our bayside is equally as important as storm reduction on our beachside,” said City Council President Scott Mandel. “This City Council has been lobbying for a bayside coastal protection study, and we are extremely appreciative of Senator Schumer's assistance in securing significant funding for this critical study.”

Vietri said the study — which encompasses 31,000 miles along the East Coast — has already begun, and the corps expects to release a report in early 2015.

“The idea behind the study is to identify the risks and look at possible opportunities to mitigate and reduce those risks,” he said, adding that the corps will examine whether tidal closure gates or other storm surge technology that was first proposed for the bay in the 1960s is feasible today. “The technology has improved dramatically and these are the types of things we are going to look at. We’ll look at bulkheads, tidal walls, flood walls and drainage systems, and other issues associated with building into the landscape, but this is all at a very elementary and rudimentary level.”

West Pine Street resident Scott Bochner, co-founder of Sludge Stoppers Task Force, said he hopes a protection plan comes together in the near future. He explained that existing bulkheads along the bay were not high enough to protect against Sandy’s surge. Bochner said that in addition to bulkheads, a storm mitigation plan must address storm drain issues and include the installation of backflow valves.

Comments

1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
JimmyR

It may be a little too much grand standing but at least its finally on the RADAR? There have been some very good studies that could be revisited that 20 million on top of could put boots on the ground quickly! Some from the very same influences that wish to buy a study again or have already been a part of one in the past? Short memories lead to shortcomings of which we have already had plenty of!

A proposal was introduced after SANDY for the north end of the Long Beach Barrier Island which addresses the content of previous management plans and incorporates some out of the box conceptions worth serious considerations. It never grew legs and was tabled by immediate skeptics. If we revisit our past the solutions may be free as they all have existed for some time? More importantly is shortening the time to implement them before they fade away and resurface by throwing more money at them?

That which I speak of was solicited but never documented... it wouldn't take much digging as it is still relatively fresh on the ground!

The proposal discusses the Implications of a SEAWALL Protection Barrier and Corridor along the Northern Coast of the Long Beach Barrier Island

Robust Flood protection for the total Long Beach Barrier Population saving billions of dollars in future catastrophic events while creating a singular boundary protection to the north vanquishing the need for private and public investments for mitigation which in themselves would save billions more and likely not be a comprehensive endeavor!

The creation of a mitigated flood insurance pool which will contribute to the funding and security of Federal, State and Local resources for future disasters by paying into the system into perpetuity without taxing the funds in future events!

The barrier island once again maintains its integrity as a protection for the wetlands and coastal communities to the North by limiting the impoundment of waters in storm events from passage over the Island as was evident in the Sandy occurrence.

A fully maintainable infrastructure corridor for the implant of pipelines and utilities with uses into the future and the elimination of miles of costly land and submarine excavations consisting of one shot terms of use and no future accessibility!

A combined use of limited funding opportunities to achieve state of the art utilities and protection while encompassing far more than individual projects can provide.

It would be most interesting to get public scrutiny on the concept before the twenty million is spent.... as the whole project lies in the realm of affordability and incorporates practical long range solutions and applications for the future?

This reader has a copy .......Perhaps the Herald will investigate and publish?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 | Report this
Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2015 Richner Communications, Inc.