January 21, 2014 | 12443 views
County runs warming centers, hotline, shelter during snowstorm
County parks cancel activities, Correctional Center cancels visiting hours
As a major snowstorm bore down on the Northeast on Tuesday, Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announced that the county had activated a special hotline for non-life-threatening emergencies and opened 19 “warming centers” around the county for residents. The county’s emergency shelter relief program for homeless individuals and families, “WARMBED,” also remains in place overnight as usual.
For the duration of the storm, residents with non-life-threatening emergencies should dial 1-888-684-4274 for assistance, according to a county news release. Those with life-threatening emergencies should call 911.
WARMBED operates between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m., Monday through Thursday. During those hours, WARMBED and Department of Social Services employees make referrals and provide shelter placement. The program is accessible in the evening by dialing 1-866-WARMBED (1-866-927-6233).
The county also provided the following list of emergency numbers:
• Department of Social Services: (516) 227-8519; after office hours: (516) 573-8626.
• Long Island Crisis Counseling and Referral Center Hotline: (516) 679-1111.
• Nassau University Medical Center: (516) 572-0123.
The county's parks cancelled all activities and classes, and the Nassau County Aquatic Center, in Eisenhower Park, closed at 4 p.m. Tuesday. It will open at noon Wednesday. Visiting hours at the Nassau County Correctional Center, in East Meadow, are cancelled Wednesday.
The warming centers, their locations and phone numbers are listed below. Residents should call the centers directly for their hours of operation.
Town of Hempstead:
• Five Towns Community Center, 270 Lawrence Ave., Lawrence. Tel: (516) 239-6244.
• Salvation Army (Freeport), 66 Church St., Freeport. Tel: (516) 378-4557.
• Bethel A.M.E. Church Roosevelt, 20 N. Main St., Freeport. Tel: (516) 377-4469.
• Franklin Square SCSC - Wesley United Methodist Church, 619 Fenworth Blvd., Franklin Square. Tel: (516) 481-3322.
• Hempstead SCSC - United Methodist Church, 40 Washington Ave., Hempstead. Tel: (516) 565-1568.
• Hispanic Brotherhood Senior Program, 59 Clinton Ave., Rockville Centre. Tel: (516) 766-6610.
• North Merrick SCSC - Brookside School, 1260 Meadowbrook Road, North Merrick. Tel: (516) 71-8675.
• Oceanside SCSC - St. Anthony’s Catholic School, 80 Anchor Ave., Oceanside. Tel: (516) 764-9792.
• Long Beach Public Library, 111 W. Park Ave, Long Beach. Tel: (516) 431-7200.
• Long Beach SCSC - Temple Beth-El, 570 W. Walnut Street, Long Beach. Tel: (516) 432-5555.
Town of Oyster Bay: