Updated Dec. 13 at 7:55 a.m.
Legislation named in honor of Giovanni Cipriano was signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo. It will allow police officers and firefighters to administer Epinephrine auto-injectors to individuals experiencing severe allergic reactions.
Cipriano, was 14 when he died on Oct. 18, 2013 from an allergic reaction after eating a peanut product, and suffered a severe anaphylactic attack. The former Lawrence School District student had from Lawrence Middle School and was a freshman at Holy Trinity High School in Hicksville at the time.
His mother, Georgia Cornago, a Lynbrook resident, advocated strongly to have first responders be able to aid children in case of similar incidents. The measure, introduced in the State Senate by State Sen. Todd Kaminsky (D-Long Beach), mandated that all firefighters, police officers and emergency medical service personnel be trained and equipped with life-saving epinephrine auto-injectors to prevent a repeat of what happened to Cipriano. The measure was sponsored by State Sen. Julia Salazar (D-Brooklyn) and in the Assembly by State Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal (D-Manhattan). Cornago said that State Assemblywoman Melissa "Missy" Miller also worked on the bill.
“Allowing our firefighters and police officers to administer life-saving care to those in need is a no-brainer,” Kaminsky state in a news release, who is a member of the Senate’s Health Committee. “I was pleased to have the governor sign Gio’s Law, which will allow first responders to administer EpiPen injections to individuals having severe allergic reactions. Special recognition is in order for Georgia Cornago for her tenacious advocacy on this issue, without it, this legislation would still only be an idea.”
According to friends, Cipriano, was funny, intelligent and admired by many of his peers. Had a charming personality, kind-hearted and a loving person, who was well-liked by his teachers. Considered very athletic, he played baseball and football in middle school and for nonschool teams, It was said that baseball was his passion.