WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.

Fired up about fire safety

Posted

Fire safety was in focus during a lesson at Parkway Elementary School in East Meadow on Oct. 4, during which firefighters from the Wantagh Fire Department visited the building for a lesson on preventing emergencies.

Third and fourth-grade students also took the plunge when they learned how to escape a smoke-filled room and react in hazardous situations during the smokehouse experience simulator.

Kindergartners, first and second-grade students attended an assembly tailored to their age group, while third through fifth-grade students took part in their own session. Presenters discussed the importance of establishing safe meeting places and escape plans and addressed ways to stay out of harm’s way and call for help when needed.

Third and fourth-grade students also toured the outdoor smokehouse that simulates what it might be like to be in a smoke-filled room because of a fire. They walked through a trailer and practiced exiting safely through the window. The students were shocked at the destructive power of a fire as they observed a melted plastic push-and-ride car.

—Brian Stieglitz