Lynbrook firefighters responded to a late night house fire on Durland Road on Sept. 10 at 11:49 p.m.
Lynbrook Fire Chief Nick Pearsall, along with his assistant chiefs, and Lynbrook police officers, were first on the scene and found the rear and roof of the house full of smoke. Flames rose about 20 feet in the air and could be seen from blocks away. Pearsall immediately radioed the fire in and requested help from surrounding neighborhood departments.
Engine Company No. 1 was first on the scene and hooked up to the hydrant in front of the home next door. Attack hose lines were immediately stretched into the burning home as other Lynbrook fire companies arrived and assisted with the firefighting effort. Three lines were brought into the house.
The firefighters made their way through the home and up to the second floor and then to an attic staircase to get up to the main body of fire in the attic. The blaze was so intense it broke through the roof and was moving down to the second floor. While the fire in the attic was being attacked, other firefighters were pulling down the ceiling on the second floor to stop the spread downward.
The East Rockaway, Rockville Centre, Malverne, and Hewlett fire departments sent units to the scene, while Valley Stream firefighters stood by to cover other fire calls in Lynbrook. It took about 40 minutes to bring the fire under control, but firefighters were at the scene for another two hours. The department’s Emergency Medical Company stood by, as did Northwell Health ambulances, but no one was injured in the fire, which was caused by an electrical problem.
The Nassau County Fire Marshal was also called to the scene because of the severity of the fire when firefighters arrived. Pearsall praised the quick efforts by the firefighters under very serious and dangerous firefighting conditions to extinguish the blaze.