WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.
Ask the Lawyer

Personal Injury Law


Q: I was injured in a car accident with a Port Authority truck while traveling in New Jersey. I live in Queens. Can I sue the Port Authority in New York state court?

A: The short answer is “yes.” The long answer is that the NY and NJ legislatures have designated the Port Authority a resident of each county within the Port of New York district for venue purposes. The Port of New York district is primarily the City of New York. Therefore, you can sue the Port Authority in any county in NYC (i.e., all five boroughs).

However, there are two very important prerequisites to suing the Port Authority. You must file a Notice of Claim with the Port Authority within 60 days of the accident and you must start suit within one year of the accident.

If you have any additional questions or concerns about such matters, you should contact a personal injury attorney.

Michael A. Serpico is an Associate in the Personal Injury practice in the Garden City office of Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. located in Long Island, NY. Mr. Serpico has significant experience in state and federal civil litigation from intake to appeal and has also secured numerous successful appellate decisions.

Over the past 50 years, Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. has grown to encompass four individual offices located in Garden City, N.Y.New York City, N.Y., Albany, N.Y., and Washington D.C. offering a wide variety of legal services.Our 18 practice groups manage, negotiate or litigate just about any legal issue, transaction or dispute ranging from:Alternative Dispute ResolutionBankruptcy and Business Reorganization LawPersonal Injury LawCriminal Defense LawCorporate Finance, Corporate LawDisability Insurance ClaimsEducation LawEmployee Benefits ERISA LawEmployment Law, to: Government RelationsLabor LawLitigation and Dispute ResolutionMunicipal, Land Use & Environmental Compliance LawProfessional ResponsibilityReal Estate LawTax Certiorari & Condemnation Law and Trusts and Estates.