Long Beach firefighters were called to a small house fire on the 200 block of West Market Street in the early hours of Jan. 17 to extinguish a blaze, but no injuries were reported.
The Long Beach Fire Department responded to a call at 3:12 a.m. on Friday. They discovered smoke coming from the basement of the residence. According to Long Beach Fire Commissioner Scott Kemins, the fire came from a small crawl space. A house line was stretched into the crawl space to extinguish the fire and firefighters opened the exterior wall to check for any further extension.
Additional units from the Point Lookout-Lido Fire Department assisted. Kemins said that the fire was under control within an hour, but the house suffered minor damages. The source of the fire seemed to be accidental and possibly from a cigarette, Kemins added.