A public hearing that had been scheduled for Tuesday night on one of Long Beach's most important projects - a plan to build a $200 million condo/coop complex on the Superblock near the boardwalk - has been abruptly postponed, city officials said Monday night.
The virtual hearing, to be held before the Nassau County Industrial Development Agency, had been scheduled for 6:30 p.m., on a proposal by Garden City developer EngeleBurman to build the complex on vacant land that has been a sore spot for the city for decades.
Long Beach City Council president John Bendo said that the city had received new information from the IDA on the PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) program that it did not have before. The developer had requested to pay $1.2 million in taxes in the first year, with increases up to $6.8 million at 30 years.
Bendo did not disclose the latest numbers but said they were turned over to the city's consultant for review.
The Engel Burman complex consists of two nine-story towers with 2,000 high-priced condos and 238 rents -10 percent of them 'affordable' - 900 parking spaces and restaurants.
The vacant property has been an eyesore for Long Beach. Another developer, iStar, had proposed to build an even bigger complex, but the project never came to fruition.