No one gets into a vehicle thinking that he or she is going to get into an accident. Unfortunately, it happens every day to many people around New York and throughout the country. When a car accident happens, it can be a scary and confusing time. You are likely suffering from injuries, you may not even understand yet how the accident even happened, and you may be wondering what to do next.
The steps you take immediately following an accident are important. Saying or doing the wrong things at this critical point can hurt a future personal injury claim. Contact a car accident attorney in Long Island today.
What to do at the Scene
The first and most important thing to do after a car accident is to check on everyone involved. If anyone is hurt, get emergency medical services to the scene as soon as possible. Once that is done, it is important that you take these next steps:
● Call the police to report the accident. This is law in New York, and the DMV may suspend your license if you do not report the crash when there are injuries or property damage in excess of $1,000.
● Exchange information with everyone involved including names, contact information, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information.
● Call your insurance company and tell them what happened, but do not give them a written or recorded statement without first speaking to an attorney.
● Take pictures of all vehicles involved, with a focus on capturing the damage done to them.
● Take pictures of your injuries.
These steps are crucial after an auto accident as they can help document what happened at the scene and the full extent of your injuries. This documentation is helpful if you decide to file a personal injury claim in the future.
What to do if You are Hurt
Many car accidents result in only minor injuries. Sometimes, though, the injuries resulting from car accidents are quite serious. When this is the case, nothing is more important than your health. If you are hurt in an accident, you need to take the following steps to ensure your injuries do not get worse, and that you get on the road to recovery as quickly as possible.
● Request emergency medical assistance.
● If you decline an ambulance or other emergency services, visit an emergency room as soon as possible after the accident.
● Explain the full extent of your injuries to a doctor and tell him or her that you were injured in a car accident.
● Follow all treatment plans prescribed by a doctor.
● Attend all follow-up doctor’s appointments.
● Keep receipts and bills from doctor’s appointments or expenses incurred because of them.
● Take daily notes on your injuries including how you are feeling and how they have affected your life.
If you are hurt, following these steps will ensure you receive any compensation to which you are entitled after the accident.
Speak to a Long Island Personal Injury Attorney After an Accident
After an accident, you will likely have to deal with your insurance company. This will help you claim compensation for your injuries, but it can also be difficult for accident victims. Insurance companies do not want to pay out large settlements and they will offer lowball settlements that do not fully compensate the accident victim. A Long Island car accident lawyer can help with this after an accident, and so much more.
If you have been injured, call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP at (866) 878-6774 or fill out our online form for your free consultation. We will speak to the insurance company on your behalf and hold them and negligent drivers accountable for paying any compensation you may deserve. Do not try to navigate the aftermath of an accident on your own. Contact us today to learn about the many ways we can help after a car crash.